Fall

Monday, June 28, 2010

Great Uncle Don

We lost a very beloved family member on Saturday. He was my Great Uncle Don. He was my grandmother's brother and one of 13 children. There is only one of them left now and that is my Uncle Benny.

Uncle Don was blinded at a young age so he has been blind for the entire time that I knew him. He owned his own business, he travelled, he played a mean game of Texas Hold 'Em and he always dressed so nicely :). His life was full in spite of his disability and his lovely wife Mary Sue is the same way - she too is blind but they are so independent and amazing :)

I was in such awe of him when I was a child because he would work the cash register in the coffee shop that he owned and he could tell the denomination of the bill or coin without anyone standing there to tell him what it was. People never tried to cheat him or trick him and everyone that knew him loved and admired him.

When he got sick (Cancer) - he never complained about the treatment that was so hard on him, or the fact that the rapidly growing cancer was taking such a toll on him. But it was clear to me, that when he was done, and he gave up, that it would not be much longer and I am thankful that his was not long suffering with such a horrible illness. He was a wonderful, loving, respected man and I am proud to say he was my Uncle.

Uncle Don we will all miss you and your wonderful sense of humor. You will NOT be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen Dallas/Fort Worth 3-Day for the Cure!

College Boy in the Snow

College Boy in the Snow

Navy boy in Greece

Navy boy in Greece

Followers